Monday, September 14, 2009

Healthy Breakfast on Standardized Test Day

With school back in session, allow me to vent about one of my pet peeves.

That letter that is sent home right before standardized test season begins - Telling me, as a parent, how important these next few days are and how I should make sure my child gets a good night of sleep and a good breakfast.

What - I shouldn't be doing that every day? Aren't the days of learning just as, if not more, important to be in the best condition for school.

Now, I know morning could be rushed and stressful - so you need a plan. Every morning should include a good protein filled - complex carb breakfast for every member of the family. - ( sugar coated cereal - AKA candy - is not a good breakfast -despite what the manufacturers would have you believe). This will hold off blood sugar falls until you can refuel at lunch.

Some suggestions:
  • Peanut butter on whole grain toast or whole grain crackers
  • Apple slices with peanut butter
  • Rolled oats oatmeal with added protein powder
  • Smoothie with fruit & protein powder added

There are some other ideas included in the Free E-Book available on this site.

To Your Health,

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment